Marathon Morning

On Sunday morning one of my best friends ran the Marine Corps Marathon. It was her first ever marathon and I had the awesome experience of running the last 8 miles of her race with her. I’m so so proud of B- and I can’t wait to be running my own marathon!

Even though I wasn’t running the full 26.2 this weekend, I had a bit of a marathon morning myself. I was scheduled to run a 14 miler this weekend and I figured that the best way to get it done would be to jump in with B- at around mile 5 (where the race passes right by my school’s campus) and run with her till mile 15 and then run home. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen. I waited for an hour on the Canal Road watching for B- (the race passes by that spot again at mile 8 ) and somehow missed her twice! I was determined not to let it happen again, so I ran to the 40K mark (around mile 18.5), figuring that I would get a text alert as B- passed that mark and then I would know where to look for her. Finally I found her and hopped into the race with her. She was looking great but mentally she needed a boost. We were heading into miles 20-22, which mostly take place in silence over the seemingly endless 14th street bridge. Since no one was cheering, I just kept repeating “You look great. You look so strong. It’s amazing that you’re doing this!” to her over and over again to try and boost her morale. We wound up walking for a little while around mile 23 because the espresso GU B- ate didn’t really agree with her, but after that she literally booked it to the finish. Somehow she dug deep and managed to pick up her pace a lot, and even at that last hill back to the Iwo Jima monument she was sprinting. B- was amazing. I almost felt choked up as I left her right before the finish line. It made me appreciate what a challenging and terrifying thing a marathon is, but it also made me want to run one even more. I can’t wait for the moment 3 and a half months from now when I’m finishing my own marathon. It’s going to be awesome.

Unfortunately, even though B- was done with her race I still had 2 miles left to run back to campus. I was exhausted by the time I got back to me dorm! I had been on my feet for 5 hours and had run a total of 14 miles. It was a marathon of a morning!


About sarahk48

I'm an aspiring journalist and an avid runner racing (and reading, and baking, and occasionally studying) her way through college. This blog is a record of my marathon training, cooking creations, and general thoughts on the state of the universe.

Trackbacks / Pingbacks

  1. 26.2 « collegegirlontherun - March 20, 2012

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: