Second Day Soreness


It’s two days since the Baltimore Half Marathon and I’m still feeling a lot of second-day soreness from the race. I went to a yoga class last night in hopes that it would somehow magically stretch out all the tightness, but that was definitively NOT the case. My calves cramped up during downward dog and have been ache-y since then. Luckily, the weather was beautiful for my four mile run along the Capitol Crescent Trail this afternoon to distract me from how much my legs hurt!

On the flip side, I have photos from the race! (Thanks MarathonFoto, even though I will NOT be paying 25 bucks per photo to download your extremely unflattering pictures of me!)

This is me and my friend R- right before the start of the race, as we were trying to find our way to our corrals. The start of the race wasn’t very well organized — you can tell from her half-smile that R- is stressed out about not knowing where we’re supposed to be! I’m just wondering why my hair is so out of control before I’ve even started running…

Here I am at around mile 6. Don’t I look happy? This was by far my favorite part of the race. Miles 5ish through 8ish went through a park and around a really nice reservoir. The weather was beautiful (look at that gorgeous blue sky!) and I was running 8:20 minute miles. I wound up talking to a couple of other runners and even one woman who used to be a Boston Marathoner but had to take time off after having children. I was feeling really strong and was looking forward to miles 9 through 13, which were supposed to be all downhill.

I laughed out loud when I saw this picture. I look so unhappy! This is with .1 mile left to go. Honestly, at this point all I could think about was getting to that finish line. The last three miles of this race were really hard. They were much hillier than I had anticipated and I had a lot of trouble summoning the morale to keep my legs moving fast when every time I crested a hill there was another one in front of me. I had tried to eat a GU at around mile 9.5 and it made so nauseous I just tossed it on the ground after one taste. But as I got close to the finish line I looked up at the big clock and saw that it read 2:01:xx. My time in my previous half marathon was 2:01 and change and I just thought “That was your time in the national half, if you can finish before the clock changes to 2:02 then you’ll have beat your time by at least 5 minutes” (because the 2nd wave, which I was in, started 5 minutes after the gun went off). So I ran as fast as I could towards the finish line and tried to smile as I crossed the mat.

I did it! In a time of 1:54:43 (6.5 minute PR!). Not quite what I had originally been aiming for (1:51) but considering the environmental factors against me (the hills, my stomach queasiness) I was so happy to have finished this race so much faster than my last one. And the medal was awesome too — it has a crab on it!

It’s been a long day and night (newspaper production nights are Mondays and Thursdays, so I don’t usually get back to my dorm until 2 a.m.) so that’s all for now. Good night!


About sarahk48

I'm an aspiring journalist and an avid runner racing (and reading, and baking, and occasionally studying) her way through college. This blog is a record of my marathon training, cooking creations, and general thoughts on the state of the universe.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: